As I thought about beginning this blog I read several great books about Virginia trails, outdoor adventure, history, and culture. Below are a few of the publications I found especially helpful:
- Burnham, Bill and Mary. Hiking Virginia: A Falcon Guide. 2nd. Guliford, Ct: The Globe Pequot Press, 2004. Print.
- Golightly, Jean. Circuit Hikes in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. 7th. Vienna, Va: Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, 2004. Print.
- Colbert, Judy. Off the Beaten Path Virginia: A Guide to Unique Places. 10th. Guilford, Ct: The Globe Pequote Press, 2009. Print.
- Fletcher, Colin, and Chip Rawlins. The Complete Walker IV. 4th. New York: Random House, 2008. Print.
- Adkins, Leonard. 50 Hikes in Northern Virginia. 3rd. Woodstock, Vt: The Countryman Press, 2006. Print.
- Tait, Alex. Climber’s Guide to the Great Falls of the Potomac. 2nd. Vienna, Va: Potomac Appalachain Trail Club, 2001. Print.
- Burian, Peter K. , and Robert Caputo. National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures. 2nd. Washington DC: National Geographic, 2003. Print.
- Jones, Tom. Zion Canyoneering: Trail Hiking & Technical Adventures in & Around Zion National Park Marmel, Utah: Canyoneering USA, 2006. Print.
- Acker, Randy. Dog First Aid: A Field Guide to Emergency Care for the Outdoor Dog . 3rd. Belgrade: Wilderness Adventure Press, 2009. Print.
- Leave No Trace: A great place to learn about outdoor ethics and conservation
- Shenandoah Mountain Rescue Group: A volunteer search and rescue organization
- Wikipedia’s Hiking Page: Some general information on hiking
- National Park Service: A great place to plan your adventures
- Recreational Equipment Inc. : A good option for retail outdoor gear and advice
- REI outlet: The online outlet has great deals… especially off season
- Campmor: A good option for finding namebrand gear for cheap
- Sierra Trading Post: Another good option for finding namebrand gear for cheap
- www.theclymb.com: A members only online gear store. Occasionally has AWESOME deals.